16 Jul Preparing viruses on TEM grids
The mPrep system facilitates preparation of viruses and other microorganisms for TEM examination, including those prepared in Biological Safety Level 3 or 4 laboratory suites.
Virus sample preparation for TEM requires using fine forceps to transfer filmed grids throughout the process. Grids boxes may require decontamination prior to transfer to the TEM.
- Grids and support films are easily damaged
- Grids are easily lost or mixed up
- Sharp forceps are a puncture risk to protective clothing
- Grid handling is especially difficult wearing BSL3/4 positive pressure suits
- Limited quantities of specimen solutions may be available
- Specimen and reagent solutions exposed to air may evaporate, precipitate or be contaminated
- Grids and grid storage containers require decontamination
- Adsorption and staining times may be inconsistent across multiple grids
- Encapsulated grids reduce handling and damage
- Grids in mPrep/g capsules are always labeled
- Forceps are not used for virus preparation
- Direct handling of grids may require handling only at the microscope
- Capsules require only 35 μl to prepare two grids
- Enclosed capsules reduce or eliminate air exposure
- Grids in capsules are decontaminated as a unit
- Simultaneous processing assures uniform timing
T6 Phage (negative stain)
Ebola virus (negative stain)
Shows the negative stain TEM preparation of pathogenic Ebola virus in high containment BSL4 labs. Scientists used mPrep/g capsules to eliminate grid handling in the BSL suite. This resulted in easier, safer processing and more reproducible sample preparation. Specimen preparation and microscopy were performed by the US Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases (USAMRIID) Pathology Division, at Ft. Detrick, MD.
mPrep/g capsules to hold TEM grids
mPrep/f 13 extreme couplers to prevent introducing damaging reagents or viruses into pipettors
Pipettor (such as a Gilson P200 volume) to enable reagent pipetting into mPrep/s capsules
mPrep/bench to seal capsule bottoms during long reagent treatments
Gilson Pipetman Neo (P200) pipettors bundled with mPrep/g capsules.
mPrep/g Pipettor Kit single-channel
- Single-channel pipettor
- mPrep/s capsule pack
- 96 pipette tips
mPrep/g Pipettor Kit eight-channel
- Eight-channel pipettor
- mPrep/g capsule pack
- 96 pipette tips
Easier and Safer Biological Staining: High Contrast UranyLess Staining of TEM Grids using mPrep/g Capsules (Microscopy & Microanalysis 2015)
Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) for Accurate Virus Quantification (Defense Technical Information Center 2018)
Preparation of viral samples within biocontainment for ultrastructural analysis: Utilization of an innovative processing capsule for negative staining (Ft. Detrick Science Fair 2016)
Improved Virus Specimen Preparation for Transmission Electron Microscopy using mPrep/g Capsules: Applications in BSL3-4 Laboratories (Microscopy & Microanalysis 2016)
Using Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) for Accurate Virus Dosing Quantification (Microscopy & Microanalysis 2016)
Preparation of viral samples within biocontainment for ultrastructural analysis: Utilization of an innovative processing capsule for negative staining (J Virological Methods 2016)
Accurate virus quantitation using a Scanning Transmission Electron Microscopy (STEM) detector in a scanning electron microscope (J. Virological Methods 2017)
Utilization of Capsules for Negative Staining of Viral Samples within Biocontainment (J Visualized Experiments 2017)
Instructions for using mPrep/g capsules for grid handling and processing.
Print this 96-well plate template to organize protocols into columns and rows with a microtiter 96-well plate.
A graphical display illustrating how to load grids into mPrep/g capsules, and how to use pipettors to stain or label grids. Use this guide as a lab reference poster.
A graphical display that illustrates how to easily prepare virus specimens for negative stain TEM in Biological Safety Level 3-4, and other laboratories. Use this guide as a lab reference poster.
mPrep grid products